Server Move and Relaunch

This is where all the rules are listed. All new members need to read this forum first!
Rakatan

Server Move and Relaunch

Post by Rakatan » Mon May 14, 2018 11:43 am

Good afternoon!

In anticipation of the coming server move, and relaunch of UFRP, the boards will be locked at 11pm EST Wednesday May 16th for a Thursday morning back up. I do not have an ETA on when they will be back live.

As I mentioned in our discord chat and on messenger, profile fields, ranks, private messages, and groups do not get imported to the new boards. We are migrating forums, topics, posts, and users only. Your username and passwords, as well as avatars should go with the import but it is not a guarantee.

In addition, I'd like to take this opportunity to go over a couple new items.

1. The classic Star Wars RP boards we have written on for 10 years will be imported to the new layout, and will be a self contained portion of the site. However, the focus of UFRP is being expanded to include many different fandoms in a new stand alone RP area that will be thread based. You and a pal wanna write something Warhammer? Make a thread and invite people to join. Feel like writing some Game of Thrones? Get to it. Explore your love of writing and open up your genres. Create new original content, run a tabletop RPG with our built in dice roller, or write in UFRP Classic with the characters you know and love. The sky is the limit.

2. Along with the slight shift in focus, the domain name and site name will be changing to align more with that expanded focus. The old one will redirect to the new one as soon as we go live with post server migration.

If you have any questions regarding the changes or redesign, please let me know. I can be found on Discord.

https://discord.gg/Re9m92h
We can never see past the choices we don't understand.
Rakatan

Re: Server Move and Relaunch

Post by Rakatan » Sun May 20, 2018 9:52 am

Some times things work out exactly how you want them to. And sometimes they break spectacularly in ways you don't expect.

The boards are open again on phpBb as once they got imported to WordPress, the massive size of the database on a shared server broke it. I could not fix it because we're simply too large to be on a shared server now.

I have no doubt that the import to WordPress would go more smoothly on a dedicated server, and that means our costs are going to go up. Oh well. So be it.

For now, ufrp.net is under construction as there are some great things there I want to introduce to the community. Once I know that we don't have to deal with a bandwidth issue, it opens some doors.

For right now, you are free to continue your stories as I plot a new way forward.
We can never see past the choices we don't understand.

Return to “User Manual”