Hello there!

Introduce yourself here and be welcomed. If you're saying goodbye, place it here so we can give you our best wishes. If you're just gonna be out for a bit, place it here.
Forum rules
Welcome to UFRP. Introduce yourself in a pleasant and friendly way. Please take note that as a new member of our community, this is your first impression. You can state your RP experience or preferences, however you should not assume that we will know who you are or anything else about you. We will be happy to help you out or point you in a good direction to start if you need a hand getting going. Make sure you have reviewed the rules in the user manual and have a pleasant stay.
Rik Idanian
Jedi
Jedi

Hello there!

Post by Rik Idanian » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:59 pm

Hey all! I'm back rping the handsome rogue with the heart of gold, Rik Idanian. Looking forward to some more ridiculous Star Wars epicness and collaborating with you all, and if you need a ride from here to there in a busted up, seriously too old for this day in age, freighter or some plucky comic relief....

...I'll keep my eyes open for a likely candidate for you!
Ashlin Li
Jedi
Jedi

Re: Hello there!

Post by Ashlin Li » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:05 am

Hello handsome rogue!

I theoretically have a couple free characters, but I'm trying to not put everyone out at once and get overextended... So I'm feeling things out as I go.

I do want to say hi though. :) I don't think I've seen Rik before. You might have started him when I was away, or else when I was just insanely busy with life a few years ago. What kind of adventures are you wishing for If you could do anything?
Don't let your lights go down. Don't let your fire burn out. Because somewhere, somebody needs a reason to believe.

Sometimes, it's still the smallest things that matter.
Mission Koht

Post by Mission Koht » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:37 am

A hearty welcome to you RIk the Rogue. I certainly hope we'll have a chance to get in trouble together sometime soon, though I must mirror Ashlin in my desire not to overextend as I start the new semester.

*Seconds Ashlin's question regarding adventure-seeking*
I'm broken but I'm happy, I'm poor but I'm kind, I'm short but I'm healthy... I'm lost but I'm hopeful, I'm hard but I'm friendly. I haven't got it all figured out yet, and that's just fine.
Rik Idanian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Rik Idanian » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Ya, so it's been like... nine years since I've been active... I think the last thing I was doing was getting into a bar fight with a void assassin droid on Nar Shadda alongside Andrew J North. But ya know, time and tides. I'd like to get into the thick of it but writing a non-force sensitive in the midst of Jedi/Sith shenanigans could get a little interesting though I'm up for the challenge.
Zalus Bidan

Post by Zalus Bidan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:36 pm

Well Zalus is trying to figure out why shipments of supplies from the GA are headed out to the unknown regions.
Ashlin Li
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Ashlin Li » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:25 pm

Well... I can't seem to hack back into her acct atm, but I do have a motherly Jawa mechanic that I had an idea in mind for, or possibly a wandering Mandalorian man in his 20s... I'm still working it out in my head. :)
Don't let your lights go down. Don't let your fire burn out. Because somewhere, somebody needs a reason to believe.

Rik Idanian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Rik Idanian » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:23 pm

I could use some feedback for fleshing Nexus Rik out a bit. Him having amnesia and getting bits and pieces back as we go along is good and all but there's going to be a time where he will meet up with others whom he would have gotten to know over the eight years on Nexus. Shared backstory can be a little hard to fudge when colaborating on the fly so just wondering if some people want to weigh in?
Ashlin Li
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Ashlin Li » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:18 pm

I’ll bite. :) We can ooc map Rik some backstory or memories if you like.

I’m just going to reply here in a scatter of posts over the next days as I think of anything relevant, but feel free to reply (or Mission to chime in, etc).

First things first (This might be overly basic, but the beginning seems like an intuitive place to start):

Rik:
We’re currently presuming that Rik was a latent/untrained sensitive? So he wouldn’t have known much before the Force rose up one day and threw him somewhere onto a Darkside-overgrown planet, presumably in approximately the same 100 mile radius that most of the Jedi/Lightside-oriented characters suddenly found themselves thrown into. Is that accurate?

The Planet:
Think whatever kind of warped landscape thoughts strike your fancy at first. We’ve chatted about gigantic black rainforests with blackness and shadowy warped creatures under the canopy. Think like a gigantic and warped tropical Mirkwood forest in Lord of the Rings. While in a LoTR mood, at At at least one edge of the rainforest ended almost the edge of Fangorn forest in Lord of the Rings. miles of fields leading to mountain terrains, ocean cliffsides, etc. Ken Var-Maren’s writer suggested wildly unstable weather patterns with summer one morning, hailstorms in the afternoon, etc.

Random supporting information if you like reading stuff:
  • There are more details scattered around the site now (I know we have a few things worked into the Crusader thread), but I think this might be everything about the initial few moments so far.
  • Nomi - I don’t think I’ve worked this into posted writing anywhere yet (It will eventually once I finish it up and find a good space for a dream/memory). This was my first draft from June of the initial moments from Nomi’s viewpoint, Ashlin’s younger sister. (Half-sister technically). Hm, if you do read, it may be relevant to note that Nomi was an excessively high-energy and combat oriented Jedi kid. If I ever get their mother's written for example, you would see a very different response in the way she handled it.
Spoiler:
20 Years Ago:

Nomi Joi Jonan was tall for her age, lean, and quite agile. The black haired, dark eyed, youngling only felt it a few seconds before it happened, but suddenly something with the Force... vibrated... differently than she'd ever felt before. Her brother Zhi froze up in the middle of telling the family about varactyls, and she looked over to see Mama look in pain, Daddy stand up in concern. Nomi had been crouched on the doormat in the process of starting to remove her boots, but she quickly reversed the motion and bounced to her feet. The girl made it about a step and a half closer toward Zhi, while reflexively checking her lightsabers with her dominant hand. Pax... Mama, Dad, and Zhi were accounted for, but not her [minutes] elder brother. What did Pax just say he was getting? Her eyes darted toward the stairs.

It felt like gnats had started buzzing in her ear. But the buzzing suddenly blurred into ringing and dizziness, like her eardrums were off balance suddenly from hitting her head too hard. That was never her favorite feeling.

"Umm..."

Whatever she'd meant to say, she never finished it.

THE WORLD CHANGED.

She was standing, but still felt like she'd lost consciousness and only just come back to it. And she was falling... tripping? Nomi caught herself against the sticky black trunk of the huge tree she'd suddenly tripped against. Her senses flared instinctively to life, and her brow creased in concentration while she tried to process whatever had just happened to her reality. It was dark. In more ways than one. The air felt thick. Humid, like Bakura could. But also something else...

And things moved.

"Zhi?" She called out. ""Zhi, I—"

The girl stopped abruptly when she realized that her voice wasn't the only one calling out at that exact moment. Suddenly there was a muffled clatter of talking and calls that echoed and bounced around in the dark stuffiness. She could tell some were familiar. But some felt—very wrong.

(Zhi? You okay?)

The nearly-nine year old bent down and refastened the boot she'd just been loosening on the doormat in her family's home. Wherever she was, she felt very pleased that she hadn't finished that. Nomi's hand gravitated to her belt, deftly click-twisting the adjustment knobs on her lightsabers away from the safety defaults. She settled her longer hilt into its home in her hand, and scanned her adjusting vision across the dim area. Everything was misty black and shadows from huge trees... there must have been a canopy way up high, but—too high. Lots of roots. No low tree branches. It was like Panatha, but... more gigantic, and much more wrong.

She heard voices, but couldn't sense anyone nearby.

Zhi found her presence and reached out. (I'm fine, Nomi. Here; we're...)
Her younger brother kept up their link for a moment, telling her that he was with Dad... In... Kinda that.. direction, and gave her an impression of walking toward the fringe edge of what must be the same black jungle. It petered out suddenly into some kind of prairie further ahead of him.

Pax...? Pax—wasn't.
Mom, she wasn't sure yet.

In the jungle around her, Things Moved.

The girl pressed her lips together. It would have been nice if she had her backpack, or at least her water bottle. She breathed out, nostrils flared. Then, her unlit lightsaber hilt still grasped in her hand, Nomi Joi scrambled her way over the first giant twisting root, and began finding her way under the black trees.

Rik Idanian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Rik Idanian » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:22 pm

Awesome! I love reading! Let me dive in and then we can talk specifics for characters and interaction stuff
Ashlin Li
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Ashlin Li » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:23 pm

Sounds good! I have a partial list of existing nexus characters on my laptop that I'll post for reference maybe tonight (currently very incomplete and skews towards characters whose writers I've talked more with, but still good data).

Rik Idanian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Rik Idanian » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:57 pm

Ok, so here's what I've got so far.

Upon finding himself in the darkling wood, Rik Idanian freaked. Imagine the next couple days to maybe a week him stumbling around in the dark shouting for help and shooting at shadows and things that were a bit more solid then shadow that were also a might hungry.

As far as who finds him and brings him to the then amassed group of Jedi I will leave up in the air for now. As far as relationships to others around? Maybe like a favourite uncle? His lack of training would mean he spent a lot of time with the kids and I want to give him a sense of usefulness rather than the groups burden to look after.

Who all was on Nexus? And pretend I don't know anything about them... cuz I don't...

My plan for writing Rik's Nexus past is kinda along the lines of what Jaden Kath was doing only having it be situational depending on who he meets or what skills are required at the moment.

As far as skills and abilities I'd like Rik to be at Knight level by the end of his eight years on Nexus so that I'm not writing in too many skills and abilities beyond what's reasonable.

I've also wanted to have a reason for Rik to lose his memory. Something like finding out the exact location of the Nexus world or some such but I'll hold off on pulling that trigger until I get some feedback.
Rik Idanian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Rik Idanian » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:04 pm

I've also been thinking about a Jedi giving his life to save Rik. Like the kind of self-sacrifice that gets Rik to shut up for a minute and consider his place in the universe. Maybe even guilt him into taking the whole Force thing seriously so that this dude's death wouldn't be meaningless.
Ashlin Li
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Ashlin Li » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:29 pm

Sorry I'm taking forever. I've been tapping at lists in spare time trying to finish them into something roughly accurate. I'll reply to your other thoughts in a post after that when I can sit with them. :)

(gigantic wall of text coming soon)

Ashlin Li
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Ashlin Li » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:58 pm

Goodness gracious, I underestimated the work of that.

Here is a woefully incomplete list that I've been mentally making on and off for ages and finally got into text. Things are bound to be incomplete or tweaked, and these are only characters who I actually know something about (or in some cases, wrote). Eventually we can make a thread dedicated to just this and some bullet points of communal ideas that anyone has had, but for now I'll put it here.

PS!
I'm decently confident, but if anything in here isn't quite right about anyone's character, pease just reply to me or find me somewhere and let me know to adjust or delete. :)
~Katie

Useful Force Nexus Plot/Jedi character reference

Partial List of Jedi who were NOT swept up/dissappeared into the Nexus Plot
(Obviously so was the rest of the galaxy, but this seemed relevant?). I won't describe them much because their stories would all be individually figured out anyway, not communal memories
Spoiler:
- Tatiana
Remained at the empty Coruscant temple and became guardian/Grandmaster of it while trying to hold the galaxy together
- Arielle
Tatiana's daughter who grew up there
- Kahn
Arrived to joint the extremely few remaining known Jedi, Tatiana's Master
- Diogenes
Once a student of Kaytren's, but that was forever ago. In contact with Coruscant Jedi. Guarding a temple somewhere I think.
- (1-2 other Jedi whose posts I saw , but names I can't remember atm. Delhin Camras? Someone else?)
- Kel Var-Maren
Jedi relic from past eras, not much known about him anymore. Left for the fringe of the galaxy but returned to inhabited areas recently.... status unknown?
- Others? But nothing physically posted yet.

People who were thrown back (presumably all at the end of the 8 years?)
Spoiler:
- Jaden Kath
Deposited back on Bakura (here) but ended up being thrown forward so that he pretty much arrived back in the present RP time.
- Mission Winterhold:
Erril's daughter. Her story picks up immediately after the 8 years in the SCD thread, here
- Caysen Marr
Arkanian Offshoot, younger Jedi and I think Erril's last padawan, not yet posted anywhere, but she was quite a spirited girl. Extremely athletic and such.
- Emeline Bralor
Young Human woman, brown hair/brown eyes, Jedi from the temple, not yet posted anywhere. She had a young daughter who was pulled into the Nexus with her, and was pregnant with her second child at the beginning of the nexus story. (Husband was a non-sensitive and left behind without them in the galaxy). Emeline’s presence was reassuring, and her main thing was Force Light. (Not posted anywhere yet, although her writer was planning something for eventually)
- Rik Idanian
?? (II’ll edit in when I understand him better)

Partial List of Characters who instead of being thrown back, Probably Ended Up on the Mining World after the end of the 8 years:
(so anyone in the list above wouldn't know about a mining world, carbonate stasis, or anything else that happened to anyone in the below list. Nobody in the below list knows what happened to anyone in the above. Most (not quite all) ended up being willingly frozen in carbonite to find their way home on the Crusader, but that didn't work out perfectly. Waking up, many find themselves who knows where with a several year gap in their memory)

Spoiler:
- Yarrek
Yoda-species, young for his kind, but old to the rest at 100ish. Knight? A bit shy, but was well know by the end of the 8 years. Kinda quirky. He was the nephew of Yolem (former council member of the same species, who died of natural old age a few years prior to the nexus stuff).
- Erril Winterhold
Unfrozen from carbonate on Crusader. Sephi (think Star Wars half-elf). White hair, pointy ears. Mission's father, his wife and the remainder of his family were not pulled to the planet. Healer, Jedi Council member, techy lightsaber geek. Possibly officially the highest ranking Jedi now? He can describe himself more if he gets around to it.
- Kaytren (Jonan) Li
Human, pale skin, dark brown hair/eyes, 5'7'' tall, doesn't seem to change much over time. Healer, Jedi master. Soft spoken, at peace, and highly lightside oriented. Keto Jonan's wife. Mother to Ashlin Li, Nomi Jonan, and Zhi Jonan. (Also mother to Pax Jonan, who was left behind). Uses Plant Surge a lot, and may have spent a significant amount of spare energy developing a replacement for caf/coffee. She had a Padawan, Tess (who was probably included in this plot).
- Keto Jonan (Cho Nang)
Epicanthix (Very lanky/tall near-humans, darker complexion), rust/tan skin, dark hair, 6'7'' tall. Kaytren's husband, Nomi/Zhi's father (also the left-behind Pax), Ashlin's stepfather. Jedi Master, telepath, overall sensible
- Ashlin Li
Human/Sephi Hybrid (not related to Erril). Unfrozen from carbonate on Crusader. Looks extremely like Kaytren except a hair taller, lighter eyes, slightly pointed ears. She was a young 20ish year old Knight at the time of the change, and was 28 at the end of the 8 years. Telepath, fair medic and Healing skills, little/no telekenesis. Her lightsaber had an unusual living crystal (non-communicative) whom Ashlin considered a partner
- Nomi Jonan
Human/Epicanthix, tall, wiry, tan skin, dark hair, brown eyes. She was 9 at the beginning of the nexus story, so... 17ish at the end of the 8 years. Aero Hirius' padawan by the end. Extremely fit, very action/combat oriented. She jumps off a ledge first and figures out some kind of plan on the way down.
- Zhi Jonan
Human/Epicanthix, tall, wiry, tan skin, dark hair, brown eyes. Much calmer and more zen than Nomi. Unlike his crazy sister, he actually makes plans and then jumps. (Or makes plans for fixing Nomi’s bad plans after she jumps.)
- Arty Orspatch
Human… early 20s, cool metal hand/arm replacement. Knight, Jedi Guardian. As bad at planning as Nomi. Don’t put those 2 in charge of anything together. Had Padawan, Jarik, who I’m 90% sure was on nexus world too.
- Aero Hirius
Master, Shistavanin/Nelvaanian [Awesome, greying and old, giant Jedi wolf-man with a huge booming voice]. Rugged old Jedi Guardian... who has had many decades to become smarter than Nomi, but similar in personality. Eventually became Nomi's master.
- Lylia (full Chiss name not pronounceable in Basic)
Chiss woman (blue skin, solid red eyes, black hair), Elegant and graceful Jedi Consular with a lovely laugh, level headed. Aero's former student, Derry Angeles' former Master.
- Derry Angeles
Lorridian (human appearance, inhuman vocal chords), longish red hair, freckles. Was a young Knight in early 20s at the beginning of the 8 years. Derry is not the most powerful Jedi, but a diplomat and poly-linguist who can speak 15+ of the common SW languages, and a few less common ones. If anyone knew a language at the beginning of the 8 years that Derry didn't know it, they would’ve been pressed into teaching him as soon as they became friends. Had Palawan, that I’m unsure yet if was included in the nexus plot.
- Koi
Melodie (aquatic species, webbed-hands/feet near humans as children/teens). Red hair, gold eyes, really missed her pet crab. Was maybe age 8-9 at the beginning of the 8 years.
- Chessa Bralor
Emeline Bralor’s daughter, age 3ish at the beginning. Cute and rambunctious once they got over the initial shock. Baby sister, Reverie, would have been born 7ish months after the beginning of the 8 years.
- Tenar
Humanoid feline species, Knight, was nursery caretaker of Jedi babies/toddlers on coruscant. Another staple character who probably hung out at the base camp a lot and helped with daily logistics.
- Tosh
Can’t remember species name. Large buff minotaur. Master, very intellectual. Probably quoted the SW version of Shakespeare regularly while exercising by lifting large boulders.
- Daisy
Human male, Knight I think?, hacker/slicer/computer engineer type character (though also skilled enough to be as useful in the wilderness as the average Jedi char).
- **Sirra Blake
Human woman, Master, teacher of younglings/students for the past 20 years. Competent and encouraging, but a little bossy. Master Sirra had an account and shouldn't be killed or anything permanent, but is a useful character to attach collaborative backstory to on the fly because that’s what she was created for.
- **Uriah Nen
Nautolan, lanky, green, squid like. Knight, another main teacher of younglings for several years and would have eventually taken over for Sirra. Obviously a strong swimmer/breathe underwater. Like Sirra, Uriah is great fair game character to mention in stories whenever. Much more fun and relaxed, occasionally uses phrases like "hey there, dude!"
- Assorted Plot Younglings
Always a staple. There were probably at least a few dozen in varying species/ages and stages of training.
- Numerous Others (including whatever named characters may join in whenever, or just who I didn't have enough memory/confidence to write down, and including also a few non-Jedi Nightside Force users, and/or totally untrained sensitives.
Last edited by Ashlin Li on Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashlin Li
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Ashlin Li » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:15 am

Rik's Nelvaan posts so far do a nice job conveying what you wanted them to, I think.

Thoughts roughly in the order you listed:
- Rik found himself suddenly in a dark wood with whatever clothes he had on his back. He stumbled around for ___ hours/days' until running into... an adult Jedi or two? A child? Can expand on that whenever if wanted, but it's not at all necessary.

He ended up joining the group eventually as they got themselves found and sorted out. Monsters to deal with, some kind of base camp to eventually set up, indescribable evil to cleanse over time, and get the warped nexus of energy back into balance with itself. They have to cook meals, repair clothes (very simple woven fabrics they could make), continue raising the kids, and all generally manage to thrive for the duration of time on the wilderness planet. Dark force caves, slaying of crazy monsters (developing into using Force Light on warped things/creatures/plants later to clean them instead of just killing). Take turns keeping watch, etc.

Erril's writer suggested that many of them developed the habit of stretching/exercising together in downtime (think like advanced Jedi yoga, which is in several of the books as an exercise and meditation). I liked that idea a lot and we worked it in in the crusader thread. When Rik gets to his training posts, he might well have some muscle memory for that as well as lightsaber forms, etc.

Knight level sounds reasonable. He had a lot of time for practice. In the old EU, many of the adult sensitive who found their way to Luke's academy had to learn just as fast and on the fly (Similar was probably true for several of the jedi on the planet's backstories, too).

Reason for amnesia - Probably not identifying the location of the planet (the Force kinda grasped frantically out and snatched up a ton of Jedi/sensitives to whatever semi-mythical untouched planet the nexus was on, and then swept them back into time/space later). But I'm sure there are a lot of options. Maybe Rik did something heroic in those last moments that made a difference, but resulted in injury/memory loss to himself?

- A Jedi dying for him sounds eye opening and good. I know one of the ideas was that multiple Jedi died over the years, and perhaps others sacrificed themselves at the end. (Idk about the individual named characters above, but we or you can always think of names/circumstances).

(That's about everything relevant that I can think of so far)

Return to “Hellos and Goodbyes”